register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums > MSF News And Event Info > Site News & Events > Website Help/Feedback
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

Website Help/Feedback If you have problems or suggestions for the forum, post here.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tegxsi

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-31-2020, 05:02 PM   #1

GenpuMike will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Boost help

I recently put a new CST4 turbo in my car with all supporting mods, the car ran fine for the first month it was in. Now a few weeks later, my wonderful car is stuck between 11-14 psi. The log i provided is from the Wastegate spring pressure map that Nishan provided me. I originally though it was the wastegate but now the duty cycle is at 0 leaving me lost. (Log provided) Any tips would be greatly appreciated
2013 genpu, CST4 Turbo, JBR 3.5 aluminum intake, cs hpfp, cs injector seals, cs small battery box, JBR 3-port ebcs, TR8L with CXracing piping, JBR pmm, Cobb rmm, Damond tmm, GFB BOV, 3 inch catless downpipe

Last edited by GenpuMike; 01-31-2020 at 05:12 PM.
GenpuMike is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-31-2020, 05:05 PM   #2

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by GenpuMike View Post
I recently put a new CST4 turbo in my car with all supporting mods, the car ran fine for the first month it was in. Now a few weeks later, my wonderful car is stuck between 11-14 psi. (Log provided) Any tips would be greatly appreciated
datalog102.csv
2013 genpu, CST4 Turbo, JBR 3.5 aluminum intake, cs hpfp, cs injector seals, cs small battery box, JBR 3-port ebcs, TR8L with CXracing piping, JBR pmm, Cobb rmm, Damond tmm, GFB BOV, 3 inch catless downpipe
 Old 01-31-2020, 07:05 PM   #3

tegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the world
Groans: 87
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm not sure what's wrong. You can't make more boost above the spring pressure without any wastegate duty.
Vansquish likes this.
tegxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tegxsi For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (01-31-2020)
 Old 01-31-2020, 08:30 PM   #4
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,038 Times in 2,827 Posts
Groans: 1,911
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

What @tegxsi; said. ^^^

I recently put a new CST4 turbo in my car with all supporting mods, the car ran fine for the first month it was in. Now a few weeks later, my wonderful car is stuck between 11-14 psi. The log i provided is from the Wastegate spring pressure map that Nishan provided me. I originally though it was the wastegate but now the duty cycle is at 0 leaving me lost. (Log provided) Any tips would be greatly appreciated
If you've got a "wastegate spring pressure map" that means that Nishan set the commanded WGDC values to zero throughout the map. Accordingly, you've got no wastegate control other than the spring on that map, and any datalogs you take should show your car hitting maximum boost at whatever the spring pressure on the CST4 is (around 12-14psi, usually).

If you're having trouble hitting boost targets on some other map, then you might have a problem. But, from the log you posted, on the map you're running, your car is doing precisely what it is supposed to do.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-02-2020, 02:38 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks guys, I think i found the problem. I recently checked my 3 port ebcs and found that a couple of the wires going into it have disconnected. New one is on the way, Ill keep both of you updated!
 Old 02-02-2020, 07:36 PM   #6

55suarod is a jewel in the rough55suarod is a jewel in the rough55suarod is a jewel in the rough55suarod is a jewel in the rough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks guys, I think i found the problem. I recently checked my 3 port ebcs and found that a couple of the wires going into it have disconnected. New one is on the way, Ill keep both of you updated!
My CST4 is en route, will keep an eye on this thread in case your issue is turbo related
55suarod is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-27-2020, 07:18 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey guys. swapped out the EBCS and got the same result. However i shortened the Wastegate arm and went from 11-13psi to around 16-18. Comparing from the most recent log prior to my car shitting the bed i was up around 18-20 which leaves me with approximately 2psi vanishing. I also noticed that my log with the WGDC at 0 produces nearly identical boost to the provided map, any ideas would be immensely appreciated guys, I've been stuck with this problem for too long.
Attached Files
File Type: csv Old log.csv (47.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: csv New log.csv (19.4 KB, 3 views)
 Old 02-27-2020, 08:22 PM   #8
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world

So...I don't think we've ever gotten a satisfactory answer. What map are you running, and what are the boost and load targets commanded in that map?

Old 02-27-2020, 08:29 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry about that my mind is all over the place. Both of the maps that i sent are the same tune with the Boost target of roughly 20psi, and the load is unknown since there is no description along with my tune. The map i originally posted was the map with zero WGDC.
The Following User Says Thank You to GenpuMike For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (02-28-2020)
 Old 02-28-2020, 08:37 AM   #10

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,066 Posts
Groans: 157
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I’m still confused. You started this thread saying you were running Nisan’s spring pressure map for your turbo.

Somewhere along the line you shortened the wastegate arm and boost increased substantially. Was that log on the spring pressure map?

If you changed maps, when, and to what map? How many different maps are you asking us to evaluate.

What map was installed for the most recent logs? Are those two logs on the same map?

Help us out so we can help you.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10+ years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSMS3 For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (02-28-2020)
 Old 02-28-2020, 09:40 AM   #11
Police - Grammarhead

Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
Im still confused. You started this thread saying you were running Nisans spring pressure map for your turbo.

Somewhere along the line you shortened the wastegate arm and boost increased substantially. Was that log on the spring pressure map?

If you changed maps, when, and to what map? How many different maps are you asking us to evaluate.

What map was installed for the most recent logs? Are those two logs on the same map?

Help us out so we can help you.
Agreed. This thread is sort of schizoid. We don't have a real understanding of the timeline, what map was being run at what time and with what effect. @GenpuMike;, you're basically asking us to evaluate a bunch of seemingly unconnected data points.

Why not actually list out what's going on in a logical way?

For example:

1. I ran Map X with Boost Target Y. It was fine until ABC happened.

2. I switched to MAP X2 with Boost target Y2. The result was that I could only see XX psi of boost at WOT.

3. Nishan provided me a map with the WGDC zeroed out and when I was running that map, the car could only hit YY psi.

4. I changed E, F, D, and G, and saw ZZ psi of boost on the 0WGDC map from Nishan.

5. Nishan provided me a map targeting Y3 boost. I'm still not hitting the boost targets on that map.

I've checked these parts: H, I, J, and K to see if they are functioning properly. Nothing seems amiss, so I need help.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (02-28-2020)
 Old 02-28-2020, 02:09 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

1.I ran my most recent reflash from Nishan, it was the third one along the process with the Boost Target of 20 psi. It was fine until my car suddenly dropped 5-8 psi, it was left in my garage for maybe a week as i replaced the head unit. I know this sounds ridiculous but i am just as baffled.

2. Once i noticed that the boost substantially dropped, I changed it back to the waste gate spring pressure map to see if perhaps that was the issue. I ended up only being at about 10-12 psi.

3. Nishan provided me with the zero WGDC map, originally pumping out about 14-16psi,l however now on that same map is on 10-12psi.

4. I changed my JBR 3 port thinking perhaps that was the culprit, yet i am afraid not. I checked all of my couplers and the tubing for my EBCS, no tearing or loose fitment. Lastly, i shortened the rod for the waste gate, which then put me back to about 16-17psi.

5. Nishan provided me a map targeting 20psi boost. The thing that confuses me the most is regardless of the WGDC it seems that the boost pressure is the same. I will be sure to log it on the way home from work tonight.

Thank you guys for dealing with me.
 Old 02-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #13

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Unless the wg rod got loose, it would be odd that it would need to be adjusted...And you don't mention by how much you tweeked it... if just 1mm gave you 6-7 more psi it is probably because the flap wasn't closing carefully. If you moved it much more, you may end up with a wg remaining near close even when it is triggered to open...
You can find tutorial about how to adjust it but i would check with a compressor and a pressure regulator to see at which pressure the flap start to open. (T in a boost gage to read pressure)

A quick and quite dangerous test you can do to make sure the turbo is ok, is to disconnect the wastegate vaccuum and in fourth gear slowly load the car looking at your boost and check if it can raise above 18-20....be very gentle and careful because you can easily hit 30+ psi this way.

once wastegate is tested ok, turbo is ok then check if ebcs is pluged ok....3 port interrup: Normally open from boost source to wastegate. and once activated, flow path is from wastegate to TIH

When checking coupler, did you put the system under pressure with a boost tester? visual test doesn't worth much...

And finally check your logs against all parameters....boost level can be dependent of many factors: clogged filter, plugged cat/muffler. warmer temperature etc...

2007 rusted Speed6... Forged with meth and a 3076 in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (02-28-2020), Vansquish (Yesterday)
 Old 02-29-2020, 06:31 PM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Alright guys sorry for the delay (i got home a lot later than i was planning), i managed to grab the logs just now with the wastegate arm at the proper preload. When i say proper preload i mean the way that it was when i began tuning with Nishan, snuggly holding the flap shut. Now, the ZERO WGDC map shows some how that there is more boost than the map he most recently tuned me for.

I would like to mention that I am catless at the moment and upgraded to a new 3.5in. intake before tuning. I initially tweaked the rod a good 3-4 turns which would explain the pick up in boost from 14-17 psi.

Again, thank you guys.
Attached Files
File Type: csv ZERO wastegate normal pre load.csv (17.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: csv Enabled WGDC normal preload.csv (19.6 KB, 0 views)