register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #1

spoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Issue with HPFP AutoTech Internals

So I finally stocked my car out and took it to the dealer. I get this sound only during a true cold start (usually after its been off for the night or in the cold for a good amount of time.) When I rev it up to about 3000RPM's you can really start to hear it. Otherwise you can only hear it for a few seconds just after you start the car.

The dealer said "Hey yeah the problem is with your HPFP. We'll take it out and give you a new one". I didn't even think to consider the HPFP so told them right away that I couldn't be without my car and would need to reschedule a time for it to be serviced. Thank goodness they didn't throw away the old pump with my beautiful autotech internals!

Anyways, I have the rattle noise like everybody else does, but how about this sound? I'm assuming it's okay and just another set of noisy internals, especially because of fuel requests during a cold start, but just want to see what all of you think.

2010 Mazdaspeed3 - Garrett GT3076R Turbo, SteedSpeed Manifold, Tial 38mm External Wastegate w/ Dump Tube, ATP Big MAF Housing, ATP 3" TIP/Intake, HKS SSQV BOV, Ultimate Racing FMIC, Ultimate Racing Catless DP, CS Test pipe, CS Catback Exhaust, Autotech HPFP Internals, Hallman Pro Boost Controller, Cobb AccessPORT, BC Coilovers, DDM 8000k HID's, Red Brake Calipers w/ Decals, Custom Smoked Headlights, Smoked Taillights, 18% Window Tint.

2011 Mazda2 Sport - OEM Fog Lights, OEM Touring Rear Spoiler, Sport Edition F2 Silver Wheels, Green Brake Calipers, 18% Window Tint,

Social Engineering - Because there is no patch for human stupidity.
spoof3r is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #2

bewsted is the leader of the worldbewsted is the leader of the worldbewsted is the leader of the worldbewsted is the leader of the worldbewsted is the leader of the worldbewsted is the leader of the worldbewsted is the leader of the worldbewsted is the leader of the worldbewsted is the leader of the worldbewsted is the leader of the worldbewsted is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,656 Times in 1,360 Posts
Groans: 19
Groaned at 25 Times in 25 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Interesting...Dont know if you had time to pull the Pump out yet....Maybe you had a shim come out?

A journey to make people cry like babies when loosing to a wagon.
bewsted is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #3

Fatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,259 Times in 547 Posts
Groans: 82
Groaned at 63 Times in 36 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I heard somewhere, either here or on vdub forums (when I was researching autotech internals) that the autotechs have an issue with chewing up the cam follower...?

TRADED : 07 MS3 GT Silver... fully bolted w/K04

CURRENT : 06 MS6 GT Silver....

KMD V2.something ~ Cobb AP ~ SURE SRI ~ Cobb TIH ~ Forge V1 BPV ~ SLS TP ~ SURE Torq R6
Fatguy729 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #4

Spoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,160 Times in 516 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fatguy729 View Post
I heard somewhere, either here or on vdub forums (when I was researching autotech internals) that the autotechs have an issue with chewing up the cam follower...?
That isn't an issue on our cars. Our Cam follower is a different material than whats run in in the VW. Its a common upgrade for VW owners.
Spoofmastafly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spoofmastafly For This Useful Post:
Fatguy729 (05-14-2011), rfinkle2 (05-14-2011)
 Old 05-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #5

spoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the worldspoof3r is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

My main concern is whether or not I should be concerned about this issue. It is only during cold starts and hardly does it unless I give it some gas, which leads me to believe that it is nothing to worry about.
2010 Mazdaspeed3 - Garrett GT3076R Turbo, SteedSpeed Manifold, Tial 38mm External Wastegate w/ Dump Tube, ATP Big MAF Housing, ATP 3" TIP/Intake, HKS SSQV BOV, Ultimate Racing FMIC, Ultimate Racing Catless DP, CS Test pipe, CS Catback Exhaust, Autotech HPFP Internals, Hallman Pro Boost Controller, Cobb AccessPORT, BC Coilovers, DDM 8000k HID's, Red Brake Calipers w/ Decals, Custom Smoked Headlights, Smoked Taillights, 18% Window Tint.

2011 Mazda2 Sport - OEM Fog Lights, OEM Touring Rear Spoiler, Sport Edition F2 Silver Wheels, Green Brake Calipers, 18% Window Tint,

Old 05-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #6

Fatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the worldFatguy729 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well first off, I never rev my engine like that till its warm... And personally I would be concerned about that sound. How's your fuel pressure look in curiosity? Did you make sure everything was CLEAN? And make sure you swap internals before you take it to the dealership! Oh, and take pictures of them/ look for signs of wear.

KMD V2.something ~ Cobb AP ~ SURE SRI ~ Cobb TIH ~ Forge V1 BPV ~ SLS TP ~ SURE Torq R6
 Old 05-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had a very repututable tuning shop do the work. I will be asking them about This issue though. For the record I don't Rev it before it's warm either but noticed it through simple experimentation after hearing it in the first place ;-)

Last time I checked my fuel pressure was fine. Holds like 18xx psi at WOT. I've heard I should see 19xx or even 20xx but I am also at 5800ft elevation...

Old 05-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #8

DONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the worldDONOTBUGME is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,191 Times in 994 Posts
Groans: 266
Groaned at 83 Times in 60 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I didnt start getting high 18-19-20 till i was stage 2
Blk 2010 MS3\\ Cobb AP Perm Tuned\ Autotech hpfp internals\ COBB intake \ Cobb Turbo Inlet \ Forge Bpv \ Cp-e DP \ Actual 3inch Magnaflow Exhaust \ Cp-e RMM \ JBR PMM \ ETS 3.5" TMIC \ Denso Iridium Power ITV22 \ JBR SSP and Bushings \ TWM Flat Black Piston Shift Knob\ Menzari Inferno Blk Wheels\ Eibach Pro-Kit Springs\ Koni Yellows \ Custom Painted Tanabe Strut Tower \ Red Corksport Boost Tubes and Bypass Valve Hose\ Black Badges \ DDM 5K HID, Fogs 3K yellow \ Shark Fin \\Audio \ Pioneer DD Touch Screen x920BT4 \ Alpine Type R 6.5" Components and 5x10 Speakers Powered by a 4 Channel 1600 Watt Avionxx Digital Amp \ 10" JLW3 Sub Powered by a 1 Channel 1000 watt Avionxx Digital Amp \ Prosport Prem. Boost and Oil Pressure Gauges \ Blockhead Dual Gauge Pod \\ Im thinking meth next.
DONOTBUGME is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm going to do my GT3076R build here and then after my tune I'll see what the situation is. If I'm not going above 19xx I may do something about it.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

I would aty least take the pump apart and look for signs of wear/problems

The Following User Says Thank You to Fatguy729 For This Useful Post:
DingoDave (05-18-2011)
 Old 05-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #11

m4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,015 Times in 1,768 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

did the shop know what they were doing? or did they just follow the instructions like you could have done easily?
SOLD//2014 Mustang GT// Brembos - Bob's Can - SCT X4 - MGW - GT500 Quad-tip Axle back - Vorshlag Street Pro - Ford K Springs - BMR PHB

2007 MS6 w/ Cheez

// COBB V3 AP // Corksport CTS4
// HKS Ignition // SURE ID300 MAF // COBB TIP // CXRacing FMIC // PTP BSD // PTP Windage Tray // PTP TIG // KMD V2.1 CDFP Internals // HD Coil Packs //
Corksport DP // TurboXS RP // CP-e 3" Single Cat-back // Bilstein Shocks & H&R Springs // DSS Axle // TSW Interlagos 19x8 +35 // 235/35 Rubber
// Defi Red Racer // Block8head Defrost Pod // DDM 3k Fogs & 6k Lowbeams // Custom iPod Integration Hackjob //
m4tic is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #12

RMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I heard the exactly same sound when I cold started my car yesterday.It's been a week since I installed my KMD v2.1 internals and car seems to hold pressure just fine.

||Cobb AP(DJ tuned)||Cobb SRI||Cobb TIP||Cobb FMIC||Cobb SW||KMD v2.2 HPFP||Catted TBE(TurboXS DownPipe+Vibrant DPback)||TurboXS Hybrid BOV||Fortune Auto Coilovers||Powergrid Endlinks||Eibach Camber Kit||CPE RMM||Denso ITV22||STRI DSD 60mm Boost Gauge||5000K HID Fogs||Lamin-x Foglight Tints||Speedy Lite-Fin 18x7.5||General UHP 235/40/18||ADR 17x7(Winter)||Nextmod GV front Lip/spoiler Lip||AutoEXE Carbon Fiber Shifter Knob||Carbon Fiber Ebrake Cover||TWM Bushings||TWM Shift/Ebrake Boots||
RMCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #13

DoubleL is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Knock type sound from HPFP area

Doing my build at the shop, after blowing a piston land out, i was warned to upgrade my HPFP. So im doing that now. Luckily the head Mazda (i work at chevy) didnt mind letting me borrow the special tools and his knowledge. He mentioned the fuel pressure relief valve goes bad and makes a knocking type sound. Might be that. I should finish my car tomorrow. Cylinder wall wasn't scratched. So put new pistons and bearings. Just got my autotech FP kit today. Last thing i was waiting for! I'm scared, nervous, excited, happy..... Wish me luck
DoubleL is offline   Reply With Quote