register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Miata MX-5
> Miata - Wheels, Tires & Appearance
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #1

Neverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,371 Times in 2,495 Posts
Groans: 1,143
Groaned at 206 Times in 144 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Yokohama S Drive review

This is an initial review based upon some spirited driving for 20 miles with 1 hairpin in each of the 6 runs. Most of the drive consisted of lane change like switch-backs, medium like sweepers, and one 3rd gear 25mph suggested (70mph actual) quick right hander and then left hand sweeper which if you set up right, you should transfer back smoothly and rotate nicely through. Air pressure is unknown at this time but it probably started @ 35psi. I let some air out of the front after the first run to counter act the understeer my shitty alignment induces.

After doing so I noticed the rear was much more tail happy and had a strong snap over when bringing it back. I was throwing the car pretty hard to setup into each corner in an effort to test the progression of grip threw the corner. In most cases traction would begin to be lost but at a very progressive rate and a slight squeal. This is much quieter then the 195/50 Ecsta AST I was running before but short of the howl the 195/50 Falker 502's have. Corners purposely drifted were done so with much more ease then any tire I have ever used. I was very confident with it, and never surprised so I never had to lift or let off.

I noticed my R-package Bilsteins contributing to some of the handling issues probably from being under damped for this tire. However, after I have some actual time on them I will be able to better assess that hypothesis as I usually have trouble with new tires considering they carry their own characteristics. These runs reached speeds of 85+ mph while cornering. This could have also been a bit over ambitious for a new tire and the shocks damping.

They are wide for a 195/50. I would say they may even exceed contact patch for some companies 205/50s

tl;dr

Tires have controllable progression beyond the edge. They regain grip unexpectedly at their current psi at high speed (possible damping issue). Further testing including wet traction and extensive dry traction will be conducted over the holiday weekend.
'06 MS6: COBB SRI/TIP//18x8 Enkei Imola//TooLateTuning Springs//SPC Balljoints//JBR RMM//Techna-Fit SS Clutch line
Bimmer Challenge & Global Time Attack Project
'99 BMW 328is: KW Variant3 w/ Vorshlag plates//AKG M3 Adj. Endlinks w/ 95 M3 FSB//18x9.5 +35 Advanti Optimo w/ 245/35 Hankook Z214 (C51)//E46 330i Front w/ Hawk DTC60 & E46 328i Rear w/ Hawk DTC50 & Hard Motorsport Ducting//Turner CTSCC Camber Arms//SLR Adjustable Lollipops//3 clutch 3.73 LSD//Welded 4 Point Gusseted X Brace Rollbar + Harness Bar//Sparco Ergo II w/ 6 point Schroth Clubman//Garagistic Delrin Motor & Trans Mounts, Rear Subframe, & Differential Bushings//OEM M3 Rear Subframe Reinforcement & Rear Trailing Arm Pocket Reinforcement//Z3 Steering Rack & Garagistic DSSR SSK//UUC Stage 2 Flywheel & M5 Clutch//S52 Camshafts w/ 7100 redline//M50 Intake Manifold//S50 Oilpan w/ VAC Baffle & Oil Filter Housing//CSF Radiator & Expansion Tank w/ Spal fan//3.5" MAF & Dinan CAI//#24 lb Injectors//VAC Fuel Starvation Kit//Active Autowerke GenII Header-back//OBD1 M52B28 w/ 230+whp
Neverlift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neverlift For This Useful Post:
nobrakez (11-11-2011), WAHBAM (11-11-2011)
 Old 11-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #2

WAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the world
Groans: 47
Groaned at 21 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I am also running these tires. They are lasting longer than the stock dunlop that came with it.
Debating on Rear Sway Bars, Springs, or internals next...
WAHBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #3

nobrakez is the leader of the worldnobrakez is the leader of the worldnobrakez is the leader of the worldnobrakez is the leader of the worldnobrakez is the leader of the worldnobrakez is the leader of the worldnobrakez is the leader of the worldnobrakez is the leader of the worldnobrakez is the leader of the worldnobrakez is the leader of the worldnobrakez is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have been running these on my z for about a year. One of the best street tires Ive run on that car. Although I am limited on selection by the 205/55/15 requirement so I am not sure how they would hold up against some of the more aggressive tires. I'm looking forward to your report on wet traction(the z doesnt go out in the rain)...
nobrakez is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #4

InFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,166 Times in 424 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 42 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I ran these on my msm also at the 3 sisters... I was impressed

Sent from my HTC Vision using tapatalkreplace
GTX3071R EWG, DNP Tubular Manifold, SSP Ported/VTCS deleted intake manifold, DCR VVT Actuator, CP-E FMIC, Cobb AP, JBR 3.5" WP Intake ||| JBR 80 Duro RMM, JBR 80 Duro PSMM ||| CNT Racing Catless full 3" DP/TP, Speed Daddy 3" CBE ||| AEM Water/Methanol Kit, Autotech FP Internals, PTP Inj Seals, Synapse Engineering Bypass Valve, Matt Jackson map sensor harness, 3 Bar map sensor, Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS, NGK 1 Step Colder Plugs ||| Sure AGS 621G, Sure Shortcut, JBR Solid Base Bushings and Weight ||| AMR Engineering Coilovers, JBR Rear Sway, JBR Rear Camber Arms, XXR 527 18x8.75 +35 Chromium Black ||| CP-E Tow Plate, Rotella T6, FoMoCo XT-M5-QS, JBR OCC, JBR EGR Delete, JBR TB Gasket, JBR TIG and Coolant Bypass, EBC Redstuff.

Build Complete!!!!
InFeXIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-12-2011, 02:10 AM   #5

ChidoriSpeed will become famous soon enoughChidoriSpeed will become famous soon enough
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm running these tires too a little to much road noise for my taste.
ChidoriSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #6

Neverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the worldNeverlift is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So I took the car out last night since it was raining pretty good. Didn't get to hit up the canyons like I wanted but I got extensive business park, highway on ramp and round-about testing in.

I had no problem cruising 80+ comfortably and never hydroplaned or felt unsure of how they were going to react. If I did induce a loss of traction on purpose it could be regained immediately and without much trouble.

They are still new so I would be interested to see how they react in the last 30-40% of their lifespan in the wet.

I am really loving these in the dry though.
'06 MS6: COBB SRI/TIP//18x8 Enkei Imola//TooLateTuning Springs//SPC Balljoints//JBR RMM//Techna-Fit SS Clutch line
'99 BMW 328is: KW Variant3 w/ Vorshlag plates//AKG M3 Adj. Endlinks w/ 95 M3 FSB//18x9.5 +35 Advanti Optimo w/ 245/35 Hankook Z214 (C51)//E46 330i Front w/ Hawk DTC60 & E46 328i Rear w/ Hawk DTC50 & Hard Motorsport Ducting//Turner CTSCC Camber Arms//SLR Adjustable Lollipops//3 clutch 3.73 LSD//Welded 4 Point Gusseted X Brace Rollbar + Harness Bar//Sparco Ergo II w/ 6 point Schroth Clubman//Garagistic Delrin Motor & Trans Mounts, Rear Subframe, & Differential Bushings//OEM M3 Rear Subframe Reinforcement & Rear Trailing Arm Pocket Reinforcement//Z3 Steering Rack & Garagistic DSSR SSK//UUC Stage 2 Flywheel & M5 Clutch//S52 Camshafts w/ 7100 redline//M50 Intake Manifold//S50 Oilpan w/ VAC Baffle & Oil Filter Housing//CSF Radiator & Expansion Tank w/ Spal fan//3.5" MAF & Dinan CAI//#24 lb Injectors//VAC Fuel Starvation Kit//Active Autowerke GenII Header-back//OBD1 M52B28 w/ 230+whp
The Following User Says Thank You to Neverlift For This Useful Post:
InFeXIoN (11-14-2011)
 Old 11-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Alright, I put some serious testing on them and I can say they are an incredible tire. I didn't want to stop. I put about 250 canyon miles on them for about 7 hours. Initial bite is quick and crisp and the progression when heading toward a loss in traction is very communitive and not at all surprising. I see no reason to ever switch. I would have no trouble running these on a track day.

However, they are tire pressure sensitive. I played with a few different ones and found 34-35 hot is best. They do get greasy but once again you know it and they cool quickly. Only had to let off for a minute or so and it was good to go.

This is a quick run to show you how they act on the road.

WAHBAM (11-13-2011)
 Old 11-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #8

bigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 9
Groaned at 20 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My friend is running these on his wrx, it's quite easy to 4 wheel spin in the rain with them. I'd consider them more a warm dry weather tire.
bigx5murf is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-13-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,371 Times in 6,959 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

How do these compare to the RS3s you tried on your MSM?

We Engineer, and that's better than just tuning!

www.stratifiedauto.com
COBB AP and VersaTuner Custom Tuning. Guardian Angel Protection and Boost Control.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-14-2011, 01:03 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nothing compares to RS3s. These are a 300 treadwear tire. It would be foolish for me to draw a comparison.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neverlift For This Useful Post:
InFeXIoN (11-14-2011), kilik2 (12-03-2011)
 Old 11-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
The Runner

M4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant future
Groans: 23
Groaned at 11 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey Bob where was that video taken? Cause i live right next to irvine (tustin) and id love to take my ms3 out there.
 Old 11-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
I <3 your mom

Dash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the world
Thanked 28,304 Times in 4,352 Posts
Groans: 293
Groaned at 132 Times in 91 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I contemplated getting these when I was in the market, but after several credible reviews, I decided on the Hankooks.

This is still interesting to me for future reference. I'll be trying something else when the V12's kick the bucket.

Bob, how's the sidewall? Is it rigid enough to offer sharp steering response and turn in?

I lost a small amount of response and slightly less precision on turn in with the V12's. They definitely have more grip than the Potenzas, but are a little mushy on the sidewall.

a) to provide really good technical information
b) to provide amusement at the expense of others
Dash08 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nathan, hit me up when you want to go. Either early morning, random weekday afternoons and late at night is when you can actually drive the road. Otherwise you have other motorists, jogger, long boarders, motorcyclists and deer to deal with.

Tony, the sidewall is softer then the shitty tires I have been running. I would describe the turn in quick like an RS3 (has a soft sidewall) but doesn't hold the road like them.

I need to get a video of me driving so you see how I use the steering wheel in the corners.
Dash08 (11-14-2011)
 Old 11-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #14
I <3 your mom

Dash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the worldDash08 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
I need to get a video of me driving so you see how I use the steering wheel in the corners.
In for this. I'd like to see how the car responds to your inputs. Could give a good idea of how they perform.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Cool. I have one now from the same day but you can only see one hand but you may get the idea of the response. Ill host it now
 Old 11-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Bad angle, I know. That is why I didnt post it originally.

Dash08 (11-15-2011)
 Old 11-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #17

InFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the worldInFeXIoN is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,166 Times in 424 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 42 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes these in no shape can compare to some RS-3's.. but for the dry performance and decent in wet, especially for the price.. they are really hard to beat. As bob said the RS-3's treadwear compared to these are no match but the RS-3's stick like glue! I was overall impressed with them myself when i took them out to the 3 sisters for a 7 hour run, and ran them pretty hard.
GTX3071R EWG, DNP Tubular Manifold, SSP Ported/VTCS deleted intake manifold, DCR VVT Actuator, CP-E FMIC, Cobb AP, JBR 3.5" WP Intake ||| JBR 80 Duro RMM, JBR 80 Duro PSMM ||| CNT Racing Catless full 3" DP/TP, Speed Daddy 3" CBE ||| AEM Water/Methanol Kit, Autotech FP Internals, PTP Inj Seals, Synapse Engineering Bypass Valve, Matt Jackson map sensor harness, 3 Bar map sensor, Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS, NGK 1 Step Colder Plugs ||| Sure AGS 621G, Sure Shortcut, JBR Solid Base Bushings and Weight ||| AMR Engineering Coilovers, JBR Rear Sway, JBR Rear Camber Arms, XXR 527 18x8.75 +35 Chromium Black ||| CP-E Tow Plate, Rotella T6, FoMoCo XT-M5-QS, JBR OCC, JBR EGR Delete, JBR TB Gasket, JBR TIG and Coolant Bypass, EBC Redstuff.

Build Complete!!!!
InFeXIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #18
The Runner

M4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant futureM4Nathan has a brilliant future
Groans: 23
Groaned at 11 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah I go to UCLA so I'm not in tustin currently but maybe over the break.
 Old 11-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #19

WAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the worldWAHBAM is the leader of the world
Groans: 47
Groaned at 21 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I finally used up my s drives. They are so bald that they are leaking out air from a crack on near 1/3 of the thread.

I'm trying out the Hankooks V12s now. So far I loved that tire, but the fact that they discontinued them I have to jump ship.

On the stock dunlops I had I ruined the inner sidewalls, but with the s drives they showed no wear on the inner sidewalls.
Debating on Rear Sway Bars, Springs, or internals next...
WAHBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #20

dizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the worlddizzydtrain is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,576 Times in 955 Posts
Groans: 64
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had s-drives on my civic si back in the day, great tire for spirited driving. They also look great mounted.
Cp-e HPFP : JBR 80duro RMM : JBR Special Edition Heavy Shift Knob : JBR EGR Delete : Matt Damond OCC kit : Cobb AP : Cobb DP : Cobb BPV XLE : ETS TMIC : CP-e SRI : Cp-e TIP : Magnaflow CBE : Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Gauge : Blockhead vent pod :PERM Tuned : H&R Springs : TSW Nurburgring 18x8.5 w/ 235/45 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo : DDM 6000k Lows : DDM 3000k Fogs : Corksport LED light kit : 3M 35% color stable tint
dizzydtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #21

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,632 Times in 3,121 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
This is an initial review based upon some spirited driving for 20 miles with 1 hairpin in each of the 6 runs. Most of the drive consisted of lane change like switch-backs, medium like sweepers, and one 3rd gear 25mph suggested (70mph actual) quick right hander and then left hand sweeper which if you set up right, you should transfer back smoothly and rotate nicely through. Air pressure is unknown at this time but it probably started @ 35psi. I let some air out of the front after the first run to counter act the understeer my shitty alignment induces.

After doing so I noticed the rear was much more tail happy and had a strong snap over when bringing it back. I was throwing the car pretty hard to setup into each corner in an effort to test the progression of grip threw the corner. In most cases traction would begin to be lost but at a very progressive rate and a slight squeal. This is much quieter then the 195/50 Ecsta AST I was running before but short of the howl the 195/50 Falker 502's have. Corners purposely drifted were done so with much more ease then any tire I have ever used. I was very confident with it, and never surprised so I never had to lift or let off.

I noticed my R-package Bilsteins contributing to some of the handling issues probably from being under damped for this tire. However, after I have some actual time on them I will be able to better assess that hypothesis as I usually have trouble with new tires considering they carry their own characteristics. These runs reached speeds of 85+ mph while cornering. This could have also been a bit over ambitious for a new tire and the shocks damping.

They are wide for a 195/50. I would say they may even exceed contact patch for some companies 205/50s

tl;dr

Tires have controllable progression beyond the edge. They regain grip unexpectedly at their current psi at high speed (possible damping issue). Further testing including wet traction and extensive dry traction will be conducted over the holiday weekend.
*through* & *than*

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Last edited by Nliiitend1; 12-01-2011 at 03:12 AM. Reason: missed the second one the first time... lol.
Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nliiitend1 For This Useful Post:
Dash08 (11-30-2011), Neverlift (11-30-2011), WAHBAM (11-30-2011)
 Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #22
I <3 your mom

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Nliiitend1 View Post
*through*

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Win.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dash08 For This Useful Post: