register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Miata MX-5
> Miata - Wheels, Tires & Appearance
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 04-12-2008, 12:10 AM   #1

RipCordRage has a spectacular aura aboutRipCordRage has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Latest Project

Hi,

Just thought I would kick this off, my first post and first post of this section

I always hated the stock Recaro seats that came in the 2004 MSM. They provided no upper back or neck support and I really wanted an adjustable headrest. When I went to the Mazda dealership I thought I might be able to swap out a seat and get their help. No such luck. What I did find though was that I really liked the Mazdaspeed 3 seats

So, to make a long story short, I found a set of MS3 seats on eBay for $80. The guy wrecked his on the track and parted out the 'racked' seats. They were all bent up, but the fabric and foam was flawless. I had a friend of mine at a metal fab shop 're-rack' them true and he helped me build a couple special brackets. Then I had an upholstery shop swap the seat bottoms out. Miata metal frame and rails + MS3 fabric & foam.

The seats do everything I wanted them to do, but honestly don't sit like I'm used to, which is ok, but will take some getting used to. The MS3 seats also don't account for the main pillar which has the seatbelt mount, so I lost 1-2" of reclining.

All in all, I love the seats and here are the pics.

Has anyone else considered doing this? I can put together all the pics and make a How-To if I get enough response.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img063.jpg (51.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg img067.jpg (74.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg img064.jpg (62.2 KB, 36 views)
RipCordRage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RipCordRage For This Useful Post:
Anklh (04-30-2009), DaleNixon (07-29-2010), TXspeed3 (07-29-2009)
 Old 04-12-2008, 12:14 AM   #2

occschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the world
Thanked 46,553 Times in 661 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

welcome but man arent thoose seats a little big in a miata.

occschemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-12-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
Thanked 41,996 Times in 8,188 Posts
Groans: 244
Groaned at 329 Times in 243 Posts

i think those look good and welcome. If all goes well, you should be seeing a turbo ms miata hitting shortly and this section wont be dead!

Originally Posted by Mazda3Revolution
An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".
MSF -The HARDCORE Of Mazda High Performance Tech!
Flex Limited Ecoboost - Not Stock

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-12-2008, 12:47 AM   #4

occschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the world
Thanked 46,553 Times in 661 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

sorry if i came off credical i didnt mean to it does look good.

occschemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-13-2008, 09:42 AM   #5

RipCordRage has a spectacular aura aboutRipCordRage has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

NP, The seats are pretty big, padded, and generally comfortable. Miatas have a limited amount of after-market seats and to my knowledge, none of them have adjustable headrests.

What was cool and fun about this project is that I was able to find 'Mazdaspeed' fabric/foam which is nearly impossible to find. When I went to the dealership to find replacement parts for the wrecked seats and gave them his VIN, they said he didn't have a MS3! Seems there are a bunch flying low under the radar, that being said, the dealership still couldn't locate replacement fabric for those seats, most embroidery shops won't do trademarked logos/words etc. So this was a pretty sweet deal to actually have it all come together. The seats have carbon fiber look/feel that matches my interior & exterior and with the red stitching it just makes the whole thing pop!

I appreciate your feedback and the welcome.

Thanks,
~Rip
RipCordRage is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #6

SLS MS3 is the leader of the worldSLS MS3 is the leader of the worldSLS MS3 is the leader of the worldSLS MS3 is the leader of the worldSLS MS3 is the leader of the worldSLS MS3 is the leader of the worldSLS MS3 is the leader of the worldSLS MS3 is the leader of the worldSLS MS3 is the leader of the worldSLS MS3 is the leader of the worldSLS MS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,611 Times in 442 Posts
Groans: 19
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Welcome aboard. Awesome job fitting the MS3 seats into your MSM.

Originally Posted by RipCordRage
What was cool and fun about this project is that I was able to find 'Mazdaspeed' fabric/foam which is nearly impossible to find. When I went to the dealership to find replacement parts for the wrecked seats and gave them his VIN, they said he didn't have a MS3!
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has happened to. I had a dealer tell me I didn't have a MS3. They said I had a MZ3 with the optional turbo/intercooler/6speed/lsd package.
Cobb AP · MS CAI w/ AEM Straightener · Cobb Turbo Inlet · Cobb FMIC · Black HKS SSQV (recirc) · PG Exhaust Manifold · Corksport Downpipe · Vibrant Exhaust
mrlilguy CDFP · Denso ITV22s plugs · Cobb STS, Shift Knob, & Shifter Weight · F2 Balance Shaft Delete & Oil Baffle

Originally Posted by Haltech View Post
Stock is just plain, gay.
SLS MS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #7

juicy2mato is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

dang this looks comfy.. I have the red and black seats and they look cool but don't provide much support.. Not alot of money so thinking some good sheepskin seat covers.. I ordered some from New Zealand for the first miata I had '90 and they fit awesome.. but I'm wondering with the weird shape of these seats.. will seat covers work.. also I see lots of 'not for miata speed' when looking through catalogues..
juicy2mato is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #8

aaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,466 Times in 2,601 Posts
Groans: 370
Groaned at 171 Times in 143 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

aaronc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronc7 For This Useful Post:
DaleNixon (07-29-2010)
 Old 04-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #9

juicy2mato is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

I can't see friggen dates in anything.. how am i supposed to know?
juicy2mato is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #10

kingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the world
Thanked 15,318 Times in 601 Posts
Groans: 78
Groaned at 48 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
You fucker, google your own funny pictures.
 Old 07-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #11

rtaylor60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

those seats look great
rtaylor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #12

2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world2007speed3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,638 Times in 353 Posts
Groans: 70
Groaned at 25 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
let it die
2007speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #13

SOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant future
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

welcome...