register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #1

Barra will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Cranks, doesn't start after carpet removal

I'm not sure what I did here. A few weeks back I had a insulated mug roll off the front passenger seat, popped open , and emptied an entire coffee on the passenger carpet. After a week of smelling like rotten milk I pulled up the carpet to find it has flowed all the way to the back and soak into the thick underfoam of the carpet. I pulled the seats, center console, and the entire carpet out to clean them off and wiped down the entire floor pan both driver and passenger side. I was realized halfway through wiping it down that the battery was still connected but I was only spraying 409 on the floor pans and didn't spray any electrical connectors.

I let everything dry out for 4 days then reinstalled everything. The car powers on fine, all dash electronics work fine. Car turns over but does not start. Fuel pump fuse is intact. CEL after a few seconds of powering on blinks, so it seems like a misfire and I can smell fuel at the tailpipe. I'm at a loss however as to anything I could have done under the carpet that would cause the car not to fire. Any ideas?
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-12-2020, 05:28 PM   #2
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,032 Times in 2,825 Posts
Groans: 1,911
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

Have you pulled codes? That might be helpful.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-13-2020, 02:32 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not yet. Won't have access to a scan tool until this weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barra For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (02-13-2020)
 Old 02-13-2020, 08:30 AM   #4

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

there isn't much pass the dash related to engine, especially for a 3 with the ecu in the engine bay...Somes connectors in the kick panels but not much
Do you have any sort of remote starter or safety installed, i would try to look there first.

You should check for sparks, maybe you got another problem that just appear at the same time. turn up 4 coils with plugs installed with a grounding strap and check for spark while cranking.
you can take a look at the tiny ground above the hpfp too....

2007 rusted Speed6... Forged with meth and a 3076 in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-13-2020, 01:51 PM   #5

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,065 Posts
Groans: 157
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Not yet. Won't have access to a scan tool until this weekend.
Dumb question, but did you rinse out the 409 with enough water that it could have gotten to any of the wiring harness up under the dash, or the OBD2 plug just above the driver’s knee?

Might need to let it dry out more.

A code scan would be really helpful.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10+ years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-25-2020, 08:12 PM   #6

wingcmdr has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do these cars have a fuel cutoff in the cabin like the late 90's explorers do? If so make sure you didn't bump it and trip it while cleaning. I know on the explorers its on the passenger side against the firewall under the dash/glovebox
wingcmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-25-2020, 10:37 PM   #7

Anaphra will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

The 5.0 explorer's? Those are pretty cool NGL

Damond Motorsports RMM PMM and TMM
Autotech HPFP
Cobb SF Intake
Cobb AP
Autotech HPFP
Corksport RSB+FSB
Corksport Adjustable Short Throw
Corksport Metal Skid Plate
Koni FSD
Anaphra is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old Yesterday, 01:41 AM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry for the late update. I pulled codes but it didn't list any. It did have a number of faults on many sensor pre-checks including O2 sensor, EGR, and a couple others.

I ended up charging the battery back up (was at 11.95v) and that seemed to fix it. It struggled to start but eventually fired up. I still am not sure what happened. It was getting fuel and turning over. Maybe the voltage was just poor enough that it cranked but didn't spark? I have NO idea why that would ever happen.

It's been almost a week and it's been running fine.
 Old Yesterday, 05:41 AM   #9

wingcmdr has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Anaphra View Post
The 5.0 explorer's? Those are pretty cool NGL
Yep! My daily, until the MS6 is back up, is my 97 Mountianeer (5.0 AWD)
wingcmdr is offline   Reply With Quote

« KR super high | - »