register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Miata MX-5
> Miata - Engine, Transmission, Driveline
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alejo_NIN

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #1

Alejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,206 Times in 525 Posts
Groans: 88
Groaned at 186 Times in 83 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Miata Turbo Build..done..semi-right.

Well, this is my brother's car.
i'm helping him build it.
He bought this miata for 750$ with a blown motor...the piston shattered and luckily did not scratch the cylinder wall...yep..cylinder #4..probably cooling issue.
we removed the engine and took it to get machined, hopefully getting it back in two days.
this si the car when we got it

when removing engine:

over the weekend, we got a little carried away on the "removing stuff we don't need" and ended up completely rmeoving:
dash board, carpet, a/c, heater core, and pretty much everything byt the wiring.
my brother getting ---- about cleaning...

end result as it sits on my driveway right now:

the brother helping disassemble the engine:
note*this is his first time ever playing with an engine...it bit him back and he bled ....bad!

we then proceeded to power wash away 15 years of dust and other disgusting matter form the engine bay and inside the car.

we are having fun and have big plans for the car.
we are on a budget but also want to do things right.
the plan is to go boost...no idea how yet, but we'll figure it out.
engine wise we are probably going with either weiseco or supertech pistons @ 9.5~:1CR, Eagle Rods, DIYPNP for management, rmeoving EVERYTHING that is not necessary to drive the car including a radio!, ARP headstuds, skunk2 throttle body(gotta convince him of this).
the car already has a good stage2 clutch by ACT, transmission is sound.

we have a lot to learn and believe me, we've been reading non-stop.
i know these types of forums and won't be asking stupid questions wihtout searching extensively before.
hope to get a lot of help from you guys!

by the way, the car is a '96 STO Miata on Montego Blue (faded color though)
i believe it has what appears as stock rims...they are getting changed.

i'll let my brother update you more on the looks of the car since i am not really interested in that

he currently drives a mlightly modded MS3 '12, i drive a completely stock MS3 '10 and i also own a heavily modded mazda protege MP3 '01 @ 14PSI with mods too long to list...

Update: 3/8/2013
Total money invested: 350$
Machine Shop did the following:
cut the head slightly..didn't have to cut too much becasue head wasn't warped or anything
seated the valves, overall cleaning...thing is beautiful
cleaned the block, .20 over bore and honing
cleaned the crank, .10 rod bearing, .10 crank bearings, polished.
this is AWESOMENESS
nothing else done to the block.
was advised not to replace the coolant seals...

project keeps moving foeward.

Update: 3-13-2013
interior starting to take shape. changed the carpet for a NB's black carpet.
it seems like convertible top won't drop it..minor modifications might have to be done

Update 3-16-2013
carpet in, seats in, painted metal pieces on top of the gas tank, they were all rust-free but wanted to future proof.
install convertible top.
[IMG][/IMG]

carpet in, seats in, painted metal pieces on top of the gas tank, they were all rust-free but wanted to future proof.
install convertible top.
[IMG][/IMG]

Latest
started building the engine

installed pistons, rods, oil squirters, crank shaft
all bearings were clevite
using lucas assembly oil FTW

original reason why the motor blew.

some updates

decided to paint manifold black

timed:

EGR block off plate done

coolant bypass block off plate done

the progress so far.

SS Braided Brake lines all around.

yes, i need rotors, aSAP

yes, had to..because the house makes a weird turn. so we measured and cut.

here is first start up:

as promised, the old rotors didn't last long...

did some more modifications. fixed the convertible top, and installed a break out strip for the gauges..i just wasn't happy with the way the wiring was done.
wired up fuel, coolant temp and other gauges.
car idles much better now and it no longer has the issue of not starting when hot.

we found out that the timing was off by like 1 tooth, so rmeoved timing belt and redid timing, set the timing to zero with stock ECU, wired in megasquirt and configured timing..car idles so much better now.

also wil be replacing the MAF with a IAT and installing a boost controller from DIYAutoTune.

more wiring than i'd like to see,,,wire tuck will be done prior to paint.

radonelement.com
Alejo_NIN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Alejo_NIN For This Useful Post:
Chief_Wiggum (10-26-2013), Hush (09-25-2013), jk_ms3 (09-25-2013), Koke382 (10-19-2013), kritz (09-25-2013), obijack (10-19-2013), SpencerC (09-25-2013), trancehead (09-25-2013), turbo test (10-21-2013)
 Old 09-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #2

kritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the world
Thanked 16,792 Times in 4,852 Posts
Groans: 95
Groaned at 48 Times in 40 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice build brownie!
 Old 09-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #3

trancehead is the leader of the worldtrancehead is the leader of the worldtrancehead is the leader of the worldtrancehead is the leader of the worldtrancehead is the leader of the worldtrancehead is the leader of the worldtrancehead is the leader of the worldtrancehead is the leader of the worldtrancehead is the leader of the worldtrancehead is the leader of the worldtrancehead is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,726 Times in 929 Posts
Groans: 25
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sexeh

2014 SWP WRX

2014 SWP Mazda 3
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #4

Alejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

still mcuh to go...
we just got the FMIC yesterday:
we will have it installed by a guy who will weld as many pieces as he can..this is a universal kit but he will weld what he can to have the leats amount of couplers.
then, he will also do a stainless steel exhaust.
we haven;'t deiced yet on what muffler to use.

radonelement.com
 Old 09-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #5

SpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the worldSpencerC is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,311 Times in 1,156 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

When you are all done, can you get to work on mine?

Thanks.

Seriously, looks good.
SpencerC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpencerC For This Useful Post:
Alejo_NIN (09-25-2013), kritz (09-25-2013)
 Old 09-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #6

hamfisted has a brilliant futurehamfisted has a brilliant futurehamfisted has a brilliant futurehamfisted has a brilliant futurehamfisted has a brilliant futurehamfisted has a brilliant futurehamfisted has a brilliant futurehamfisted has a brilliant futurehamfisted has a brilliant futurehamfisted has a brilliant futurehamfisted has a brilliant future
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks good. I had a '97 that I put a JR M45 supercharger kit on, and it was a blast. Engine management (piggyback) was definitely the weak spot, so you're on the right path using the Megasquirt.
hamfisted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hamfisted For This Useful Post:
Alejo_NIN (09-25-2013)
 Old 09-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

you def can't go wrong with a full management
yes, it will be harder to work with but once you are done...the possibilities are endless

currently i am tuning off of AFRs and MAP
i will be able to add meth inj and have it work off RPM/SPEED/BOOST/ anything!
will also be able to do flat shifting and launch control.
i can even to anti-lag
i cna control so many things like A/C, intercoler sprayer..man...it is gonna be awesome!

i cna even wire in a external waterpump and just remobve the one from the car...get rid of the thermostat altogether and only run the pump when i want to....

this is my brother's car..but soon, i will be going MS on my protege (pictured on my sig)

radonelement.com

Last edited by Alejo_NIN; 09-25-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says Thank You to Alejo_NIN For This Useful Post:
Koke382 (10-19-2013)
 Old 09-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #8

kritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Anti lag huh, So no timing and rich as fuck?
Alejo_NIN (09-25-2013)
 Old 09-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

no timing, rich as fuck..and a special sparkplug on the exhaust manifold before the turbo...
kritz likes this.

radonelement.com
 Old 10-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

more updates
FMIC install
pipe size : 2.25
CXRacing Intercooler
took 9 hrs..wtf?

radonelement.com
 Old 10-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #11

jeymz has a reputation beyond reputejeymz has a reputation beyond reputejeymz has a reputation beyond reputejeymz has a reputation beyond reputejeymz has a reputation beyond reputejeymz has a reputation beyond reputejeymz has a reputation beyond reputejeymz has a reputation beyond reputejeymz has a reputation beyond reputejeymz has a reputation beyond reputejeymz has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks great, wish I had the skills to do something like this.
Cobb AP - OTS Stage 2 | Ultragauge | Autotech HPFP Internals | DENSO ITV22s | Forge BPV v2 | CS TMIC | CS Boost and BPV Tubes | CPE Nano SRI w/ Amsoil filter | CS TIP | OBX race pipe | CPE Stage 2 RMM | JBR PSMM 80 | JBR TMM 80 | JBR Shift knob, weight, bushings | JBR RSB | JBR Rear camber arms | Sure SSP | MD OCC | Corksport Springs | Bilstein Sports | FCM Rear Bumpstops | FoMoCo tranny fluid | CS Tow Plate | CS LED Kit | CS Fog LEDs
jeymz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeymz For This Useful Post:
Alejo_NIN (10-19-2013)
 Old 10-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #12

Koke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,322 Times in 1,859 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 39 Times in 21 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Fuck now I miss my miata even more now......

Good build tho. Looks sick

sent from my peepee
COBB AP// Finkles hypnotic sexyness 50/50 e85// HTP 3.5 Whale Penis// HTP 51R battery box// JBR Adjustable SSP//JBR 88 RMM// Grimspeed 3 port EBCS// CX Racing FMIC// CNT Racing catless DP// AT internals// Lamin-x Fog light inserts// Stiffy Ingals Mtourque Mount// Asian tower brace(lol)// CNT Racing Catback// Turbo XS RFL BOV VTA FTMFW!!// Upgrated clutch// Drilled and sloted rotors (font and back)// UNDER THE KNIFE

New fucken miata build:

1993 Red Na6
Some suspension modz yo

1994 Caste White MX5 Miata - sold

1991 Smurf Blue miata - sooooooold
Coilovers// Other shit

Koke382 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koke382 For This Useful Post:
Alejo_NIN (10-19-2013)
 Old 10-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #13

turbo test is the leader of the worldturbo test is the leader of the worldturbo test is the leader of the worldturbo test is the leader of the worldturbo test is the leader of the worldturbo test is the leader of the worldturbo test is the leader of the worldturbo test is the leader of the worldturbo test is the leader of the worldturbo test is the leader of the worldturbo test is the leader of the world
Groans: 16
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Koke382 View Post
Fuck now I miss my miata even more now......

Good build tho. Looks sick

sent from my peepee
Wait didn't you just buy the miata this year? What happened?

Yeah I've been neglecting msf lately, gotta catch up on things.

Sent from my EVO using tapatalkreplace
2010 Velocity Red MS3-Eibach PRO-KIT-EVO X Rims-SU RMM-SU solid shifter bushings-CP-e HPFP-CP-e tip-CP-e cai-CP-e hks ssqv bov kit-ddm slim hid kit 35w-5000k-JBR Heavy Shift Knob-JBR RSB-AQ Motorsports catted downpipe-Magnaflow full 3in CBE- SPC camber arms (Stratified tuning) 91/e85 tuned
turbo test is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo test For This Useful Post:
Koke382 (10-21-2013)
 Old 10-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #14

Koke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the worldKoke382 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,322 Times in 1,859 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 39 Times in 21 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by turbo test View Post
Wait didn't you just buy the miata this year? What happened?

Yeah I've been neglecting msf lately, gotta catch up on things.

Sent from my EVO using tapatalkreplace
I sold it :/ it was literally just sitting collecting dust lol. Im buying another one this coming year cuz I miss that shit lol.

Sold it cuz I needed money to move to our new place. We needed some new furniture.

sent from my peepee
COBB AP// Finkles hypnotic sexyness 50/50 e85// HTP 3.5 Whale Penis// HTP 51R battery box// JBR Adjustable SSP//JBR 88 RMM// Grimspeed 3 port EBCS// CX Racing FMIC// CNT Racing catless DP// AT internals// Lamin-x Fog light inserts// Stiffy Ingals Mtourque Mount// Asian tower brace(lol)// CNT Racing Catback// Turbo XS RFL BOV VTA FTMFW!!// Upgrated clutch// Drilled and sloted rotors (font and back)// UNDER THE KNIFE

New fucken miata build:

1993 Red Na6
Some suspension modz yo

1994 Caste White MX5 Miata - sold

1991 Smurf Blue miata - sooooooold
Coilovers// Other shit

Koke382 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koke382 For This Useful Post:
Alejo_NIN (10-21-2013), turbo test (10-21-2013)
 Old 10-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #15

Not Ranked  0 score     

It is still ghey, but just a little faster.
ABolewski (11-14-2013), Alejo_NIN (10-21-2013)
 Old 10-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #16

Zpuhalla is the leader of the worldZpuhalla is the leader of the worldZpuhalla is the leader of the worldZpuhalla is the leader of the worldZpuhalla is the leader of the worldZpuhalla is the leader of the worldZpuhalla is the leader of the worldZpuhalla is the leader of the worldZpuhalla is the leader of the worldZpuhalla is the leader of the worldZpuhalla is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 32 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Subbed.
ATP GTX3067R, ATP Catted DP, HTP 3" Intake, UR FMIC, Stratified GA, Stratified EBCS, Bilstein B8's, Cobb Springs, JBR RSB, JBR Mudflaps, JBR OCC, GFB 50/50 BPV, Autotech Internals, JBR Shifter Bushing, Cobb RMM, Cobb AP
Zpuhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-14-2013, 02:48 AM   #17

bigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 9
Groaned at 20 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow you mofos work fast! Are you using a Haynes manual? If so, don't trust all their torque specs, especially if you're using aftermarket fasteners. For example, ARP head studs require higher torque spec than factory.
bigx5murf is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-14-2013, 03:37 AM   #18

ABolewski is the leader of the worldABolewski is the leader of the worldABolewski is the leader of the worldABolewski is the leader of the worldABolewski is the leader of the worldABolewski is the leader of the worldABolewski is the leader of the worldABolewski is the leader of the worldABolewski is the leader of the worldABolewski is the leader of the worldABolewski is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,377 Times in 624 Posts
Groans: 52
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sick build! I'm hoping to do exactly this someday.

2008 Chevy Colorado. The only truck that comes with a lifetime guarantee...
ABolewski is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

thought you guys deserved an update.
so here it is:

after 1 year and 2 motnhs...it finally starts

it's been a while since a last update

so far this is what it looked like before the car went under the knife for about 3 more times...

old old old

replacing bumpers and fenders

giving some life to otherwise boring parts....wrinkle paint valve cover

at this point i really thought to myself: i need to trim these wires

i attempted to make it look nice but those wires and fuse box...they had to go

so out comes the dash board, again

trimming, fixing, taping, rolling

cleaning ziptying etc

dash back on

still not happy tho

it doens't look that bad but it could be better

so out comes the dash again
and now the whole wiring harness comes out as well.
time for some trimming and soldering

the pile on the right is all unused wiring

take advnatage of the situation to install MSM pedals

this is the passenger side wiring harness..not much to do to this one

taking apart fuse box (tags: miata fuse block fuse box fuses relocation move dash)

took off all the leads

removed the airbag

getting ready for paint

finished fuse box relocation under dash

starting to lok better...could be better tho

wrinklepainted my old oil catch can and installed

driver side engine bay cleaner

dash back on, pedals installed, painted steering rack back on

bucket of wires...to be sorted and thrown out

first wash in 1 yr

the proof is in the pudding. drove the car to a friends house to show off

installing SSQV

installing EBC for the MSPNP2

venting it for now while i figur eout what to do

need to figure out an intake for this as well

that's all

thought you guys deserved an update.
so here it is:

after 1 year and 2 motnhs...it finally starts

it's been a while since a last update

so far this is what it looked like before the car went under the knife for about 3 more times...

old old old

replacing bumpers and fenders

giving some life to otherwise boring parts....wrinkle paint valve cover

at this point i really thought to myself: i need to trim these wires

i attempted to make it look nice but those wires and fuse box...they had to go

so out comes the dash board, again

trimming, fixing, taping, rolling

cleaning ziptying etc

dash back on

still not happy tho

it doens't look that bad but it could be better

so out comes the dash again
and now the whole wiring harness comes out as well.
time for some trimming and soldering

the pile on the right is all unused wiring

take advnatage of the situation to install MSM pedals

this is the passenger side wiring harness..not much to do to this one

taking apart fuse box (tags: miata fuse block fuse box fuses relocation move dash)

took off all the leads

removed the airbag

getting ready for paint

finished fuse box relocation under dash

starting to lok better...could be better tho

wrinklepainted my old oil catch can and installed

driver side engine bay cleaner

dash back on, pedals installed, painted steering rack back on

bucket of wires...to be sorted and thrown out

first wash in 1 yr

the proof is in the pudding. drove the car to a friends house to show off

installing SSQV

installing EBC for the MSPNP2

venting it for now while i figur eout what to do

need to figure out an intake for this as well

that's all

radonelement.com

Last edited by Alejo_NIN; 06-02-2014 at 09:11 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says Thank You to Alejo_NIN For This Useful Post:
bigx5murf (06-03-2014)