register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Miata MX-5
> Miata - Engine, Transmission, Driveline
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #1

nycMS3 is the leader of the worldnycMS3 is the leader of the worldnycMS3 is the leader of the worldnycMS3 is the leader of the worldnycMS3 is the leader of the worldnycMS3 is the leader of the worldnycMS3 is the leader of the worldnycMS3 is the leader of the worldnycMS3 is the leader of the worldnycMS3 is the leader of the worldnycMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,811 Times in 423 Posts
Groans: 129
Groaned at 18 Times in 10 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Helped a friend install a new front mount on his MSM

A buddy of mine (Also a member here, big5xmurf) asked me to help him install a new core. I said SURE! how hard could it be...... well it wasn't hard just I didn't think we would be forced to use tools that shouldn't be used on cars.

I carefully removed his bumper and carefully because even though its a 2004 msm, the car only has 7k original miles. I didnt want to scratch or break anything. Here is the bumper next to my car.

This is the core that will be replacing the oem one, quite the difference.

We first cut the oem core out which went smooth, we used a Rigid battery powered hand tool with a cutting wheel. Took sometime but did the trick.

We then mounted the core and that was a bitch, the couplers seemed to small and one of the t-bolt clamps was definetly too small, so we used a worm clamp. That resulted myself in getting stabbed with a screwdriver trying to get the tbolt clamp to fit

Once the core was mounted, my friend began to make the brackets to secure it to the car. This is how we did it, we used a metal grate, an axe and a brick.

After a few cuts, cigarettes and cursing we finally got everything finished. Reinstalled the splash shield and mounted the bumper

And a picture of his car in the garage, my ms3 and his sisters 3 (you can sorta see it)

Also im sure he will chime in soon, he has a few pictures as well. Especially of the brackets installed on the car

09 MS3 tuned by Nishan
nycMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nycMS3 For This Useful Post:
i8urgti (06-17-2011)
 Old 06-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #2

PunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the world
Thanked 30,201 Times in 2,793 Posts
Groans: 131
Groaned at 45 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

looks pretty good

noodz of sister

I was really scared when you said "how hard could it be"
/TopGear
broke ass college student
PunjabiPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PunjabiPlaya For This Useful Post:
predapio (06-07-2011), WAHBAM (09-07-2011)
 Old 06-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #3

messiahx is a splendid one to beholdmessiahx is a splendid one to beholdmessiahx is a splendid one to beholdmessiahx is a splendid one to beholdmessiahx is a splendid one to beholdmessiahx is a splendid one to beholdmessiahx is a splendid one to beholdmessiahx is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks good. Lol at tiny stock ic. I always laugh at those. Ghetto fabbed brackets are the way to go. We used a similar process (except we had an actual vice, which helped) to mount aaronc7's ic. Mine is mounted with some angle bracket used for corners with drywall.
messiahx is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #4

bigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 9
Groaned at 20 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Home Depot + Ebay = Tuning FTW lol

The brackets were made from 1/8" aluminum strips, lots of trial and error. Learned some things about working with AL. Like bend first then drill, else it'll bend right at the hole. AL also heats up fast, and transfers it fast too (drilling cutting), so have a way to constantly cool it.

We had to relocate the horn... it sounds either broken or vintage, depending if you're the half full/half empty kinda guy.

Here are the individual brackets, 3 total

And one more of the final product
bigx5murf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigx5murf For This Useful Post:
Ms3_Miami (12-22-2011), nycMS3 (06-06-2011), predapio (06-07-2011)
 Old 06-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #5

mazdaspdmike is the leader of the worldmazdaspdmike is the leader of the worldmazdaspdmike is the leader of the worldmazdaspdmike is the leader of the worldmazdaspdmike is the leader of the worldmazdaspdmike is the leader of the worldmazdaspdmike is the leader of the worldmazdaspdmike is the leader of the worldmazdaspdmike is the leader of the worldmazdaspdmike is the leader of the worldmazdaspdmike is the leader of the world
Groans: 14
Groaned at 50 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

this looks awesome, loving the black! You lucky sob with your pre-installed piping and just having to cut the core out xD quite a bit harder for us MS3 guys.
 Old 06-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #6

bigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond reputebigx5murf has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 9
Groaned at 20 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

yea, I wanted to do the black IC since I haven't really seen anyone do it around here. It helps the core was cheap, and comes with a lifetime warranty. People on the miata forums are hating though, claiming the silk-screened "mishimoto" defeats the purpose of a black ic lol

Oh yea, almost forgot this pic... looks like an epic phail about to happen, OSHA would not approve lol

bigx5murf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigx5murf For This Useful Post:
predapio (06-07-2011)
 Old 06-07-2011, 06:04 AM   #7

predapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the world
Thanked 45,197 Times in 6,409 Posts
Groans: 309
Groaned at 206 Times in 116 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks good.^^^^ Hey Krys, did you burn your hair off or something?

Makes you look like a Lightbulb head.

Dash08: I don't see the whole pedophile thing, But Predapio is a dirty old bastard. So, I wouldn't rule it out entirely.
That's also why he fits in here. We're all a bunch of filthy, perverted, arrogant, pessimistic, self-righteous assholes who find entertainment at other peoples expense.
What a lovable bunch we are!!
predapio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to predapio For This Useful Post:
nycMS3 (06-07-2011)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforum.org/forum/forum/f19/helped-friend-install-new-front-mount-his-82736/
Posted By For Type Date
The 04-05 Mazdaspeed Miata Thread - Page 77 - ClubRoadster.net This thread Refback 11-29-2014 05:21 PM