register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Miata MX-5
> Miata - Engine, Transmission, Driveline
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #1

Chief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Compression check

I've got a buddy of mine who's going to help me do a compression check on Saturday...I want to make sure I disconnect the right connections to avoid screwing things up/frying the coil pack. As I understand it, I disconnect the two items I'm pointing at in the picture (CAS & coil pack), pull the plugs (duh) and crank with the accelerator matted to shut off the fuel. Does this sound correct? Thanks from one homo to another.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Chief_Wiggum; 06-27-2014 at 05:07 AM.
Chief_Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #2

Chief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the worldChief_Wiggum is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Dry results - #1 - 140, #2 - 140, #3 - 150, #4 - 155
Wet results - #1 - 170, #2 - 160, #3 - 155, #4 - 170

The big discrepancy is #3 between wet and dry, the others are semi consistent. Any insight? I should say that we did not measure out the small amount of oil we put in the cylinder, so there could be some variance attributed to that.
 Old 06-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #3

Code Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,856 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 32 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Specs for the 1.6L are:

Standard 192 psi
Minimum 135 psi
Diff. between cylinders 28 psi

You are just hanging in there.

2017 Subaru BRZ
MCS TT1 coilovers|Brembo BBK|6UL 17x9|RE-71R|ACE 350|flex fuel|Delicious tuned
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

That's not encouraging. I think I'll redo the compression test now that I know what the numbers should be and do a leak down test. I'm also going to keep driving the piss out of it to include autocross next Sunday!

Last edited by Chief_Wiggum; 06-28-2014 at 10:30 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chief_Wiggum For This Useful Post:
ABolewski (06-29-2014), Code Monkey (06-28-2014)
 Old 06-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #5

Mazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,687 Times in 1,836 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Numbers look fine to me. 192 seems a bit high to me as the comp ratio is 9.4, our speeds are 9.5 are we are only supposed to hit 180psi.

My miata runs on 3.5 cylinders and it's very noticeable but I never have an issue with power delivery, other than it having nothing down low. But I will say this, the B6 doesn't come alive until 5k-ish so keep the revs up. Also there is no rev limiter so you can shift whenever you want, and it's a non interference engine so even if/when the valves float at high rpm it won't blow up the engine.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT Crystal White Pearl #07141

Damond Motorsports = PS Cooler - RMM - PMM - OCC
VersaTuner = Versatune
Clutchmasters = 850 Street Twindisk
Corksport = RDM - CBE - RSB - TMM Insert
Turbine Tech = Forward Diff Mount - FMM
CP-e = Exhaust Manifold - Injector Seals
PTE = JB 5862
JMF = Intake Manifold w/Custom PI
Kozmic = Downpipe - 6th Port - EGR Delete
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Autotech = HPFP Internals
HTP = 4" Intake - Battery Tray
Bilstein = B6 Shocks w/Eibach springs
Grimmspeed = EBCS
Technafit = SS Brake Lines - SS Clutch Line
Enkei = EVOX GSR 18x8.5 +38 - NT03+M 17x9.5 +38
Custom = FMIC w/TR1035 - Shifter Cables - Shifter Bushings
Mazdazilla6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I picked up a leak down tester today, I hope to hook it up sometime this week and see what it tells me.
Code Monkey (06-29-2014)
 Old 11-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So, finally did the leak down test about a month ago, air coming out of oil cap = bad rings. I also went through about 1.5 quarts of oil getting to and from the last autocross event (see below).

short term fix is a 65K mile 1.6 replacement motor. I'll replace the TB/WP before dropping in the car. I picked it up in Chicago while visiting the in-laws for Thanksgiving. The seller had an engine hoist to load it, I had to improvise to unload it...the Mrs wanted it out of her car (don't blame her). I used jack stands to support the ladder, slowly slid the pallet down until i could slide it over to the cart...I can't believe it worked.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Vansquish (03-23-2015)
 Old 11-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #8

Code Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,856 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 32 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Maybe do a coolant reroute and plug the front thermostat neck while the engine is out?

2017 Subaru BRZ
MCS TT1 coilovers|Brembo BBK|6UL 17x9|RE-71R|ACE 350|flex fuel|Delicious tuned
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
Chief_Wiggum (11-29-2014), Neverlift (11-29-2014)
 Old 11-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The reroute was done on the current engine, so I'll be sure to follow that route. Roger on the thermostat neck.
Code Monkey (11-29-2014)
 Old 01-01-2015, 12:18 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Finally got my replacement motor mounted to an engine stand yesterday and started some preliminary tear down for TB/WP. No bad surprises yet...keeping my fingers crossed. The engine is out of a 92 with an alleged 65K miles on it. Looking through the spark plug holes, the piston tops on this motor are 1000X cleaner than the ones on my current engine. Trying to decide what else I should consider doing maintenance wise since it's easy to work on out of the car.

[IMG][/IMG]
Code Monkey (01-21-2015)
 Old 01-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Out of an abundance of caution and since I had very little actual information on this engine, I've pulled the head and dropped the pan on my replacement engine. So far, nothing looks terrible.

before:
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

after a little cleaning;
[IMG][/IMG]
chaser27 (01-21-2015), Code Monkey (01-21-2015), Neverlift (01-21-2015), Tyhackman15 (01-28-2015)
 Old 01-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Had a few extra minutes today, decided to clean up the combustion chambers. I'll work #2 & #3 some more.

Before;
[IMG][/IMG]

after;
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
 Old 01-28-2015, 02:43 PM   #13

SJP0tato is the leader of the worldSJP0tato is the leader of the worldSJP0tato is the leader of the worldSJP0tato is the leader of the worldSJP0tato is the leader of the worldSJP0tato is the leader of the worldSJP0tato is the leader of the worldSJP0tato is the leader of the worldSJP0tato is the leader of the worldSJP0tato is the leader of the worldSJP0tato is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Chief_Wiggum View Post
Trying to decide what else I should consider doing maintenance wise since it's easy to work on out of the car.
You probably have done most of these, but just incase:
timing belt/water pump/tensioner
new o-ring seal for the heater pipe (comes into the back of the mixing manifold, runs behind the exhaust header)
new cam gear seals
Water plug (if it doesn't get replaced outright by your coolant re-route):
Entire coolant re-route, hopefully it replaces the thermostat & crap back there that sucks x1000 to work on when it's in the car.

Front main seal
Rear main seal
maybe oilpan seal (since it requires removal from the vehicle anyways)
All of the mini heater/vacuum hoses that run in/over/under/around the intake manifold area.
Fuel injector seals (the little kit from rockauto is about the cheapest I've found, BECK/ARNLEY 1580894 is what I bought a few weeks ago for ~$12 shipped for all 4 injectors. Don't lose the fuel rail spacers, they're terrible about falling into the depths of the engine bay. I glued mine in.

I think that's most of the main things.
SJP0tato is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SJP0tato For This Useful Post:
Chief_Wiggum (01-28-2015)
 Old 03-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Haven't posted an update in awhile; just replaced the valve stem seals. The job was very easy using the KD Valve service tools. I went with the Viton seals on the advice of the Miata.net crowd.
[IMG][/IMG]

Hope to start reassembly soon. A friend of mine who works at a tool and die place is going to help me plumb the oil pan for the turbo return line; may as well do it now while it's easy.

What's the recommended method for permanently plugging the "cursed water plug"; tap it and screw in a permanent fitting?
 Old 08-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

back from the grave update. replacement engine together after new valve stems, oil pan tapped for turbo return line, mild head work. Old engine out (my first, had help from good friend), started swapping over some parts off old engine I'll need. Hope to finish that soon, replace throw out bearing on tranny, move it to the newer engine and start the install in the next few days. I've learned an amazing amount about this car in the last 72 hours.
powder coated goodness, worth 10HP

Last edited by Chief_Wiggum; 08-18-2015 at 07:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chief_Wiggum For This Useful Post:
dagrimey1 (12-04-2015)