register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 6 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 04-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #1

ReddoG_Max will become famous soon enoughReddoG_Max will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Head Gasket Repair

Hello folks,

First time on the forum and had a quick question for you. Head gasket went couple days ago and need to get this repair going. (07 speed6). Have a buddy that will do the work.

Because I'm in Canada, I don't have access to aftermarket parts quickly so will have to have to hit up the dealer. I read through most posts however just want to ensure I have all the parts I need listed. First, do we need these Mazda SST cam tool / Mazda crank pin sst to do this job?

Second the parts:

Head gasket (may go some form of kit)
crows foot bold x4
head bolt x 10
cam bolt x 1

At the same time, going to do the valve seals.
valve seals

Did I miss anything?

Thanks for your help.
ReddoG_Max is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #2

sidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,356 Posts
Groans: 47
Groaned at 72 Times in 45 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Are you sure it's the head gasket? How did you come to that diagnosis?

FreekTune | 91 | JBR 3", PMM & RMM | CS Racepipe, TMIC & TMM Inserts | Autotechs

sidekick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidekick For This Useful Post:
Black Metal (04-12-2014), [R]usty (04-11-2014)
 Old 04-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #3

[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,250 Times in 820 Posts
Groans: 79
Groaned at 14 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by sidekick View Post
Are you sure it's the head gasket? How did you come to that diagnosis?
+1
That's not a common thing on this car.

Cobb AP V3JBR Tru 3" Wide PathJBR Boost Tubes & BPV HoseCobb XLE BPVCP-E TMIC ║ UR Racepipe ║ Magnaflow CBEAutoTech InternalsGrimmSpeed EBCS ║ JBR RSBSPC Camber ArmsKW V3 CoiloversJBR IM+TB TIGs & TB BypassJBR SSPE - Focus RMMStopTech Slotted Rotors and EBC Yellow Stuff PadsTechna-Fit SS Brake Lines

[R]usty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [R]usty For This Useful Post:
Black Metal (04-12-2014), sidekick (04-11-2014)
 Old 04-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #4

ReddoG_Max will become famous soon enoughReddoG_Max will become famous soon enough
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

That's what I hear and read however everything I've see coupled with two other opinions point to it.

Was on highway, merging on heavy acceleration. Car started to run rough, engine light started blinking then solid. Temp gage went to the roof.

Coolant was everywhere around the bottom area of the engine (think some pressure caused another blow out) saw some gases coming up through the rad when giving it some gas. There is defiantly pressure going into the rad. Light / gray smoke from the pipes when revving it.

Had a buddy look at it and say that there pressure coming through the rad

However, oil appeared to be clean.

Is there anything else this could be? I'm going to do some more testing tomorrow. But I can't think what else it could be.

Maybe I'm out to lunch?
 Old 04-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #5
Speeeeeed

06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 14,562 Times in 2,807 Posts
Groans: 41
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Has the engine been rebuilt before? Sometimes engines aren't put together correctly and they blow the hg. If it hasn't been rebuilt, the oem build is nearly zero fail as far as the hg goes.

Could be a cracked head too. If the engine dumped it's coolant and it's blowing air through the radiator then it may be toast.

I'd hold off on buying parts until you figure it out because you don't wanna buy all of that and a new engine.

Cracked heads are more common than warped heads and neither are very common. If the head is warped it's a paper weight because of the overhead cam design which makes the cam journals warped as well.

P&P, flow benched, head with welded EGR and +1mm inconel exhaust valves (260/200cfm @ .500"), Web Cams, Custom crankcase breather with integrated air/oil seperator, Custom 3/4" ID pan vac system, Blow through maf, Port matched IM, CNC AN-12 ORB block oil adapter, CP-e 88mm Stage 2 pistons, Pauter 22.5mm rods, ARP main, head, and crank studs, CP-e injector seals, Injector stud kit, Cometec 88mm 5 layer HG, Deatschworks flow tested matched injectors, DCR VVT, PTP 2250psi RV, Corksport front sway, Whiteline rear sway, AWR front/rear sway links, TT FMM, AWR 70d DMM, JBR 80D PMM, SU RMM, TT FRDM, CP-e RRDM, Autotech CDFP, DW65c ITFP, Custom L/A IC with a dual pass 20x25x1.5 heat exchanger, Dual Cobra I/C pumps, 2.5" ID 700hp I/A intercooler, Custom DP, Corksport catback, Corksport exhaust hangers, chrome plated genpu valve cover, chrome plated timing cover, Spin on oil filter, Fluidyne dual pass AN-12 oil cooler, Hayden oil cooler fan controller, Dual 4.7" SPAL oil cooler fans, Canton Racing 22-480 oil tstat, Custom BMRS AN-12 oil lines, SPC ball joints, 55w/35w headlights and independently switched fogs on custom waterproof harnesses, PIAA Super Plasma driving and interior lights, rear diff cutout switch, 3M clear front cover, Volk 17x7.5 wheels, Custom tcase bearing cap upgrade, GS EBC 3 port, Redline SS hood lift, Versatune, Defi gauges, Innovate MTX-L WB gauge, triple center gauge pod, Block8head dual vent pod, Redline shift boot & ebrake cover & arm rest cover, Mazdaspeed CF ebrake handle, SBC Full Face Feramic Clutch Disc, Dashawk, ACL rod bearings, King main bearings, Cosworth BSD, Custom windage tray, Holset HX35w, Creative Performance T3 EWG manifold, HKS VTA BOV, A1 H11 head studs, Hylomar HG sealant, SSP EGR delete plate, JBR EGR IM plug, JGS 40mm Race EWG

06Speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 06Speed6 For This Useful Post:
[R]usty (04-11-2014)
 Old 04-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #6

Black Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,307 Times in 422 Posts
Groans: 78
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Saw this happen on a buddy's MS3. It turned out to be a hole in one of the cylinder walls. Hope it's just the headgasket but I haven't really heard of any problems with those on our platform.
- GS EBCS - H&R Springs - Sure TIG's - PNP'D Intake Manifold - EGR Delete -

12.89 @ 104.9 1.82 60' 4500' ASL on K04 20 PSI E30
12.01 @ 113.9 1.80 60' 4500' ASL on 3071 22 PSI E20

- 2004 Silver Sunlight Metallic RX-8 -
- 6MT - Stock -
Black Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-11-2014, 11:04 PM   #7
Speeeeeed

06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world06Speed6 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

A hole in the cylinder wall would mix coolant into the oil which he said he didn't have. That's why I was tossing around the idea of a head crack.

P&P, flow benched, head with welded EGR and +1mm inconel exhaust valves (260/200cfm @ .500"), Web Cams, Custom crankcase breather with integrated air/oil seperator, Custom 3/4" ID pan vac system, Blow through maf, Port matched IM, CNC AN-12 ORB block oil adapter, CP-e 88mm Stage 2 pistons, Pauter 22.5mm rods, ARP main, head, and crank studs, CP-e injector seals, Injector stud kit, Cometec 88mm 5 layer HG, Deatschworks flow tested matched injectors, DCR VVT, PTP 2250psi RV, Corksport front sway, Whiteline rear sway, AWR front/rear sway links, TT FMM, AWR 70d DMM, JBR 80D PMM, SU RMM, TT FRDM, CP-e RRDM, Autotech CDFP, DW65c ITFP, Custom L/A IC with a dual pass 20x25x1.5 heat exchanger, Dual Cobra I/C pumps, 2.5" ID 700hp I/A intercooler, Custom DP, Corksport catback, Corksport exhaust hangers, chrome plated genpu valve cover, chrome plated timing cover, Spin on oil filter, Fluidyne dual pass AN-12 oil cooler, Hayden oil cooler fan controller, Dual 4.7" SPAL oil cooler fans, Canton Racing 22-480 oil tstat, Custom BMRS AN-12 oil lines, SPC ball joints, 55w/35w headlights and independently switched fogs on custom waterproof harnesses, PIAA Super Plasma driving and interior lights, rear diff cutout switch, 3M clear front cover, Volk 17x7.5 wheels, Custom tcase bearing cap upgrade, GS EBC 3 port, Redline SS hood lift, Versatune, Defi gauges, Innovate MTX-L WB gauge, triple center gauge pod, Block8head dual vent pod, Redline shift boot & ebrake cover & arm rest cover, Mazdaspeed CF ebrake handle, SBC Full Face Feramic Clutch Disc, Dashawk, ACL rod bearings, King main bearings, Cosworth BSD, Custom windage tray, Holset HX35w, Creative Performance T3 EWG manifold, HKS VTA BOV, A1 H11 head studs, Hylomar HG sealant, SSP EGR delete plate, JBR EGR IM plug, JGS 40mm Race EWG

Old 04-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #8

Black Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,307 Times in 422 Posts
Groans: 78
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

That's what I expected also but the oil in the coolant was very minimal. Lots of coolant in the combustion chamber though. Coolant smelled like fuel really bad.

Here is that thread
HELP PLEASE!!
- GS EBCS - H&R Springs - Sure TIG's - PNP'D Intake Manifold - EGR Delete -

12.89 @ 104.9 1.82 60' 4500' ASL on K04 20 PSI E30
12.01 @ 113.9 1.80 60' 4500' ASL on 3071 22 PSI E20

- 2004 Silver Sunlight Metallic RX-8 -
- 6MT - Stock -
Black Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Black Metal For This Useful Post:
06Speed6 (04-12-2014)
 Old 04-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 06Speed6 View Post
Has the engine been rebuilt before? Sometimes engines aren't put together correctly and they blow the hg. If it hasn't been rebuilt, the oem build is nearly zero fail as far as the hg goes.

Could be a cracked head too. If the engine dumped it's coolant and it's blowing air through the radiator then it may be toast.

I'd hold off on buying parts until you figure it out because you don't wanna buy all of that and a new engine.

Cracked heads are more common than warped heads and neither are very common. If the head is warped it's a paper weight because of the overhead cam design which makes the cam journals warped as well.
Engine has never been rebuilt and has 210,000 kms (133,000 miles) on it. Only thing was replaced was turbo last year.

Cracked head you say. I guess really the only thing I could do is open it up and determine what's going on. I'd go do some tests tomorrow.

Is there anything else I need to look for to determine if it's cracked?

Last edited by ReddoG_Max; 04-12-2014 at 06:30 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReddoG_Max For This Useful Post:
06Speed6 (04-12-2014), jm211 (04-12-2014)
 Old 04-12-2014, 06:49 AM   #10
Will fuck up ur day

Chimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,046 Times in 3,143 Posts
Groans: 433
Groaned at 224 Times in 138 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If the headgasket is being replaced, you should have the head decked flat. They're almost always warped a little bit even on good engines.

As for what 06speed6 said, I've NEVER heard of someone cracking the cylinder head. But you ask anyone who actually MEASURED the head surface flatness after pulling you'll almost ALWAYS find it's warped a little bit. He's wrong when he says if the head surface is warped it's a paperweight.
Turismo Vids - Store your car vids and pics here! Blog your builds too!
Click here for great deals at The RPM Store! PM me for pricing!
I hear that honkey at Protégé Garage is pretty decent too.
Chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chimmike For This Useful Post:
06Speed6 (04-12-2014)
 Old 04-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Speeeeeed

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by gingermike View Post
If the headgasket is being replaced, you should have the head decked flat. They're almost always warped a little bit even on good engines.

As for what 06speed6 said, I've NEVER heard of someone cracking the cylinder head. But you ask anyone who actually MEASURED the head surface flatness after pulling you'll almost ALWAYS find it's warped a little bit. He's wrong when he says if the head surface is warped it's a paperweight.
If the head is slightly warped off of a good engine, it can be decked. If it's majorly warped off of an engine that's burning coolant then it's almost certainly junk. There is a definite limit to decking to correct warp.

As for cracked heads, I have heard of it but it's really damn rare. I've probably heard of less than five.

Once the engine is apart it should be pretty obvious whats going on.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #12
Will fuck up ur day

Chimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,046 Times in 3,143 Posts
Groans: 433
Groaned at 224 Times in 138 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

yeah if the head is cracked, I'd consider yanking the block and having it flattened too, or even if the head is severely warped. Get those mating surfaces as flat as you can.
Turismo Vids - Store your car vids and pics here! Blog your builds too!
Click here for great deals at The RPM Store! PM me for pricing!
I hear that honkey at Protégé Garage is pretty decent too.
Chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

After spending some more time doing diagnostics today, things don't look that good.

We have milky oil and when the rad is filled and the car is idling, there is immense exhaust pressure coming out. (As seen in video...Had no idea that that much pressure could be thrown up !....tons of fun).

So, the tear down begins Tuesday. Just don't think I have the time or expertise to do this job so got someone to handle it. Said he is going to go with a gasket kit and new head bolts? Anything else I should tell him to change at the same time? Any other parts I should ensure he gets? If he needs to machine the head he will do so.

Really hope it's just the head gasket ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car 1.JPG (75.1 KB, 17 views)
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 Car Vid.mp4 (1.33 MB, 10 views)

Last edited by ReddoG_Max; 04-13-2014 at 10:15 PM.
 Old 04-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #14

sidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Has the car ever been over heated? May as well change the the timing chain and guides while the head is off. Water pump, accessory belt, idler, tensioner, etc.

I really hope he thoroughly inspects your head for cracks/warping though. if it is cracked and you just change the headgasket, you might be better off throwing your money in a fireplace.

FreekTune | 91 | JBR 3", PMM & RMM | CS Racepipe, TMIC & TMM Inserts | Autotechs

Old 04-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Has the car ever been over heated? May as well change the the timing chain and guides while the head is off. Water pump, accessory belt, idler, tensioner, etc.

I really hope he thoroughly inspects your head for cracks/warping though. if it is cracked and you just change the headgasket, you might be better off throwing your money in a fireplace.
I believe he said he is going to send the head off to a specialty shop to get it checked out. They will do the valves at the same time. I'll mention the timing chain as well.

Thanks!
 Old 04-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, bigger problems.

So my mechanic took the head out, inspected it and it looked fine. No other issues seen other than a wash in cylinder #3 from the leak. At this point he replaced the head gasket and most other things recommended above. Put it all back together and car is doing the same thing as before !!!! He believes now I need to replace the head ($600 used with 120kms on it).

He was going to send the old head to get machined and checked over however it really looked in good shape without any visible cracks. With the amount of pressure being lost, I'd assume there would be some noticeable damage. Maybe we are dealing with a block issue???

While calling around to look for a head, two separate people said that I'd be wasting my money putting a new one on as with in 3-6 months the lower engine won't take the new head.

Is this true? Just curious what you guys would recommend at this point.
 Old 04-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #17
Speeeeeed

Not Ranked  0 score     

I have never heard of that.

You need a new mechanic, he obviously doesn't know what he is doing. He pulled the head off, didn't have it professionally checked or cleaned, and threw it back on. Even if that did fix the original problem, it would have created new problems with the head gasket seal. Secondly he had the engine apart, obviously didn't find a (major) problem, then put it back together hoping for the best. Now he wants to start replacing random parts that in his opinion are good working parts? Hell no

The Following User Says Thank You to 06Speed6 For This Useful Post:
ItsNox (04-21-2014)
 Old 04-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #18

ItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,656 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 06Speed6 View Post
I have never heard of that.

You need a new mechanic, he obviously doesn't know what he is doing. He pulled the head off, didn't have it professionally checked or cleaned, and threw it back on. Even if that did fix the original problem, it would have created new problems with the head gasket seal. Secondly he had the engine apart, obviously didn't find a (major) problem, then put it back together hoping for the best. Now he wants to start replacing random parts that in his opinion are good working parts? Hell no
Thisssssssss

Sent via Tapafail
Power & Drivetrain BNR S3v2 / AP V3 + 100% Meth / Autotechs / JBR Tru 3.5" SRI w/ 51R Battery / ETS TMIC / DO Meth D07 @ 100% / ACT6 Puck w/ Streetlight FW / 80mm CorkSport Exhaust / SLS Test Pipe / Turbosmart BPV / Techna-Fit SS CL / AP Shift Hammer / Bosch 3Bar / Grimspeed EBCS / NGK 1 Step Colder / JBR Boost Tubes / ProSport Sammich Plate / Rotella
Suspension & Mounts KWv2 Fronts & Bilstein Rears / AIDS Rear Diff Mounts / Whiteline RSB / Prothane Lowpro Bushings / Steeda Endlinks / JBR 88RMM / JBR Solid Bushings
Brakes & Wheels StopTech Slotted Rotors & Pads / Technafit SS Brake Lines / Evo X Wheels / 245/40/18 Potenza RE760s
Misc Redline & Unicorn Jizz (XTM5QS) / Sharkfin Antenna / Kuda Mount of Sweetness / Full TRS Mini-H1 Retrofit w/ Demon Eyes / TRS Xb LED Fogs / Hardwired Valentine 1 w/ Bluetooth / AuxMod w/Bluetooth

- Miltuned

On order/To be installed: E-btec Built Motor , BNR S4, CPe EWG Exhaust Mani, Precision 46mm WG, Kozmic 6th Port, CS FSB, RDMotorsportz Crash Bar, CS Injector Seals.

Georgia Motherfucking Nator
Originally Posted by Ziggylittles View Post
I hate that you can sleep on suckas and then make rape with your family sedan
ItsNox is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well I believe we have found the problem!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Block Damage.jpg (7.2 KB, 161 views)
 Old 04-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

Lol so he missed that? I hope he's paying for it this time around.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #21
Speeeeeed

Not Ranked  0 score     

That will do it.

In other news, I think your head is ok.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

The next question is how the fuck did that happen?

Old 08-24-2019, 01:53 AM   #23

Flying has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The next question is how the fuck did that happen?
This!
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says NO Thank You to Flying For This Un-useful Post:
SSinstaller (08-24-2019)